Deep in the heart of the New Jersey Pine Barrens rests a beautiful location known as Batsto Village. The site of a former bog iron and glass-making industrial center used from 1766 to 1867. Currently, it reflects the agricultural and commercial enterprises that existed at the site in the late 19th century. "Batsto" is derived from the Swedish word "Batstu", meaning "bathing place". It's believed that its original residents (the Lenni Lenape Indians) borrowed the term as old deeds of the area mention an "Indian Batstu".